With so many different ways for people to get their exercise in, it’s understandable if gyms and fitness centers feel anxious sometimes. How do you get people in the door? Once you do that, how do you keep them coming back when they could just quickly look up a workout video on YouTube?
There are different marketing strategies you can deploy to attract and retain gym customers. If you’re specifically looking for one that’s engaging and easy to get started with, try SMS marketing. SMS, also referred to as text message marketing, is known for high open and click through rates. And with the right messaging and the appropriate target, you can boost your success.
But before you sign up for an SMS platform, you’re going to need some inspiration for campaigns! Keep reading for an example of tried and true ideas as well as templates you can copy and tweak to fit your branding.
SMS Campaign Ideas for Gyms and Fitness Centers
If you haven’t done it before, texting a prospective or current customer may seem a little odd. In reality, 98% of all texts are read, and as many as 45% of people reply to branded messages they receive. With the right text, too, you can really leave an impression. Here are some ways to promote your center and drive membership numbers up:
- Welcome campaigns for new members or people visiting your gym on a trial basis or for the first time
- Promotional offers like discounts on memberships, classes, or even drinks and snacks if your gym has an in-house cafe
- General brand awareness such as alerting contacts to new classes or equipment and encouraging them to either sign up or stop by for a visit
- Reminders when current memberships are about to expire so they can renew on time
- Alerts, schedule changes, closures, or any maintenance updates
- Upselling campaigns on classes or membership tiers with discounts to get people coming in or buying more
- Downloadable content offers from your website, like guides to healthy eating or tips for improving your form
- Customer surveys to get a sense of how the gym going experience at your center is
Easy SMS Templates for Gyms and Fitness Centers to Use
Curious how those campaign ideas translate into actual texts? Check out the following examples, and remember, you can tweak them to fit your branding or tone.
- Hi <USER FIRST NAME>, this is Pilates Patty from [NAME OF GYM]! Thanks for downloading <ASSET> – that should help you break a sweat. Let me know if you need help with anything!
- Hi <USER FIRST NAME>, this is Cardio Caroline at [NAME OF GYM]. Thanks for booking your first visit! If you have any questions I can answer before then, let me know. See you soon!
- New class alert! Join [INSTRUCTOR] on Tuesdays for [CLASS NAME]. 15 spots available. Sign up here: [LINK]
- <USER FIRST NAME>, Flash sale! Get three additional classes for the price of one.
- Hi <USER FIRST NAME>, this is Bicep Brian from [NAME OF GYM]. What are your thoughts on the membership proposal I shared last week? Anything I can answer for you?
- Ready to step up your game? [INSTRUCTOR] is accepting new personal training clients. Limited availability for [MONTH]. Meet [INSTRUCTOR] here: [LINK]
- Hi <USER FIRST NAME>, it’s Leg Day Larry from [NAME OF GYM]. I wanted to know how you’re like our center so far. Let me know here [LINK].
- Hi <USER FIRST NAME>, Running Randy from [NAME OF GYM] here. Just a reminder: Your membership expires in a week. You can renew here [LINK].
- Hi <USER FIRST NAME>, today’s Zumba class will be canceled. We’re sorry for the inconvenience. You can sweat it out with Dancing Delilah next week at [TIME].
Start Texting Today
Ready to get started but don’t know which tool to use? Try SMSZap. SMSZap is an easy-to-use, affordable way to get up and running with SMS marketing. And the best part? It comes with templates that you can create once and then use repeatedly, making reaching your gym-goers easier than ever. Sign up here.